Lilacs & Mother's Day Gifts

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Did you know that Mother's Day is next week?! I have lots of pretty photos of these lilacs to share with you. As well as what I want for Mother's Day, what I typically get for my mom and some thoughts on self care.
This is technically my first real mother's day that I will be celebrating as a mama. If you read Ruby's birth story that I posted the other day, I talked about how I went to the hospital the day after Mother's day last year and had Ruby the next day.
I still felt like it should count as a mother's day. At over 40 weeks pregnant and very hormonal, I thought I deserved a little celebration. And Jordan did get me a gift, these sandals that I had been wanting and this sweet bracelet with an 'R' for Ruby. But, it was definitely a just in case gift for if I did have Ruby girl by Mother's Day! haha. 
I was actually a little upset that he didn't treat it as a first Mother's Day, but that just means that this one will be extra special. And it will, because our sweet Ruby is here on the other side! 
My favorite place to shop for Mother's Day presents is Anthropologie. Here they have already curated some wonderful gift ideas for Mother's day. I love their quirky and unique style, I typically pick up a cute teacup, a candle, or hand cream
My other go to gift is a plant or flower. Instead of getting cut flowers, I like to get something that will last a little longer. Since Mother's Day lines up perfectly with the gardening season in the midwest, a potted plant or something that can be planted is also a perfect gift. Last year I got both Jordan and my mom a potted rosemary plant.
I hadn't really thought about Mother's Day this year. I have a feeling every year from here on out will be the same. As Ruby's birthday is on the 12th, that and sorting through the thousands of photos from this past year have consumed my thoughts lately. 
But, I did send Jordan  a link to this diaper bag. I had been eyeing this diaper bag forever as well, but it's just too expensive and Fawn Design is having a mother's day sale.
My mom got me this diaper bag, which I loved, but we found that having a backpack style is much more efficient. Which is why we use this mini backback. I love it, and will probably continue to use it, but I sometime wish I had a little more space to fit in my camera or other things. So, I think it's time, time to get a good-looking, functional bag.
One other thing that has been on my mind lately is self care. 
A sweet friend of mine stayed over the other week while Jordan was working nights. It was kind of hilarious, she brought over her own blanket and everything.
It was fun and much needed.
We talked quite a bit about how we treat ourselves. Often times I don't spend money or time of myself because I can't seem to justify it. But, I really like when my nails are painted and I really would enjoy having my hair colored again. 
These things aren't necessarily important and sometime they can seem a little vain. Like, wanting to get eyelash extensions. I've been wanting to get them for years and never have! has anyone tried them?

Especially since being a mama, there are days, like today, that I stay in the clothes I slept in and I am lucky if I brushed my teeth. I kind of miss (actually, I mostly don't, just some days) when I would dress for work everyday. 
Now more than ever, I need to start thinking a little more about how I treat myself. I value being kind to others, respecting others, and giving gifts to others. Why do I not do the same to me?
So, I am treating myself this mother's day (thanks, jordan!) to getting my hair done and taking the time to paint my nails. 
So, What are you giving or what are wanting for Mother's Day?
How do you approach self-care? Do you think it's important? Or am I thinking too much of myself? 
Some gifts for mom:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe