self-care | what's in my makeup bag (currently) part two

Friday, September 16, 2016


I wouldn't call myself a makeup person at all. I've never worn much makeup and for the life of me can't perfect a cat eye or a smoky eye. If I put on too much eye makeup, I often end up immediately taking it off, because it just looks weird. 
So, this is definitely the basics. I went out with some girls a couple months ago and everyone met up at my place before heading out. My friends had these huge makeup bags and I was ridiculed a little for how little was in my makeup bag. Needless to say, they did my makeup that night. haha! 
So, I'm probably not the person to go to for makeup advice, but I can share you some of my thoughts on the very basics, that I can do well. I'm working hard on creating a collection that works well for me and one that I can rely on. Some of these are a part of that collection and some of them are part of the journey. 
Here's the whole lineup, small, right?
And the first thing I start with isn't makeup, but a day cream as a base for my makeup. I've tried primers, but it just seems fussy and I find moisturized skin is the best surface for makeup.
Secondly, I add some foundation and this isn't a step that I skip. I spent so many years not properly taking care of my skin, that I need just a light coverage to cover up unevenness and general redness in my skin. This was my biggest search this year, was to find a quality foundation that I could go back to over and over. I think this is the one, it's light enough for daily use, but I can build up coverage if I'd like to.
Another requirement for a foundation to meet my 'collection' needs is that I needed to be able to apply it without getting it all over my hands. I got the retractable brush for this foundation and it's a dream, I love it! I apply my foundation directly to the brush and then apply to my face. It blends in super well and achieves that dewy finish I've been looking for.
After foundation I often find I need to add a little more definition in terms of bronzer. I love love love this bronzer (Laguna), it goes on so smooth. I use it for maybe too much, for bronzer, contour, my eyes, and eyebrows, it's a great shade for everything, and not shimmery at all.
It definitely not the worst makeup out there, so I'm ok finishing off the rest of it in the mean time, but I do hope to replace it with something with better ingredients. Or just hope that they change the formula before I need to do that! :) I'll have to find a good, safe bronzer to add to my collection.
My sister-in-law picked up this double ended brush for me and I just love it. It's crazy what a good, quality brush can do! I use the angled side for my cheeks and then the other side to blend in around my face.
I also love the Nars 'The Multiple Stick', I use this everywhere as well, on my cheeks, eyes, and lips.
I use the bronzer and multiple for some color on my eyelids, and hardly ever use eyeshadow.
I've been loving this Lipstick in Twig, I'm a sucker for gold packaging too. So, it looks cute even when I leave it out on accident or on purpose. It's very light and more like a tinted balm, I'd say. It's very moisturizing and adds a touch of color. If you're looking for full, long-lasting color, this may not be for you. But, this is definitely a cute lipstick to throw in your bag. The jury it still out to see if this one will be reordered or not when the time comes, I think I need a little more time with this one to see. :)
If my lips are dry, I'll add on a little lip balm first. 
The next important thing for my makeup routine is mascara. I don't think I've ever tried a mascara that I absolutely love, and I've tried a lot. I wear mascara everyday, even if I don't wear any other makeup. My eyelashes are really light, so it's important.
So far, I think this mascara is the best one I've tried so far. It goes on so incredibly smooth and glides on each and every single lash. It's never once clumped. It really does lengthen my eyelashes. I take my time to apply a solid first coat and from there will add another or two depending on what I'm doing. Often I find I'm ok with just one coat, and a I never add more that a few, which is a welcome change from other mascaras I was using.
The only drawback of this mascara is that it's hard to remove. And by the end of the day the last thing I want to be doing is scrubbing off mascara. I'm learning some tips and tricks on getting it off quicker. So far this one is a collection winner, unless you all know of another mascara?
That's usually it for my makeup routine, but if I feel like I need it I'll add in some concealer as a highlighter under my eyes or to cover up and blemishes that show through the foundation. I'll do this after applying the foundation. I definitely don't love this concealer, so I've been skipping this step. I'm saving up to pick up a new one! This time I think I may actually look for a highlighter as well, has anyone tried this one?
I also may smudge eyeliner (smoky brown) too, I like to add the tiniest bit in-between my lashes or smudge a little on the outer lash line. I love the color of this and keep going back to it, but I'm still not sure. Would also love suggestions on a good eyeliner too!
Lastly, I like to finish it off with a little spritz of rosewater mist. It adds just another layer of moisture and seems to help keep everything in place. And I just like that it feel luxurious and refreshing. 
And that's it, pretty simple!
What about you, what does your makeup bag look like? Do you have a collection you always go back to? What are your must haves?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe