the best cake trick

Friday, February 12, 2016



I promise I'm not into Valentine's Day as much as it appears. Though, over the years I have grown to appreciate a celebration in the middle of February. As much as it looks like this cake is for the February holiday, I actually made it for some friend's birthdays. But, neither of those are the point of this post. I have been working on my cake baking skills while still using boxed cake mix, of course, and learned the best cake baking trick to date yet and I am so excited to share it with you. 



I had some candies from my target run this week (remember, last post when I caved and got a Valentine to Jordan from Ruby, ha!) that I needed to get rid of before I ate the entire bag, so I used them to decorate the cake. So, I guess it did turn into a Valentine's Day cake. If that's what we want it to be. 



Enough of this pretty cake, onto the trick I was talking about...


I know that this has been done before and I can't remember where I saw it first years ago. All I did was tie a wet cloth around the pan and THE CAKE COOKED EVENLY AND FLAT. It's a miracle. I still can't believe it worked. Even Jordan, the science guy, was amazed. 


At first I didn't think that this would be worth the extra effort to do this... and is it really worth ruining a towel? Yes. Yes, it is. Trust me, your towel will serve a much, much greater purpose.

It actually ended up saving me so much time and energy. Since, the top of the cake was mostly flat I didn't need to trim the top of the cake, where usually it's rounded. Icing the cake was a breeze since, it didn't need to be trimmed, there weren't and crumbs to get in the way. I was able to stack the layers together, and it looked way better.

I was able to use a large square washcloth to fit both pans. I cut it out in a zig zag like pattern, so that the square cloth turned into a long strand. I wanted it to be long enough to tie at the end and not have to use safety pins.

Also, a quick talk about Funfetti. I can't believe that I forgot about it's goodness. I haven't had it in way too long. I always say it's my favorite, and a coworker even knew on my birthday a couple years ago, but I always forget about it when at the store. But, never again.

Also, I love how Natalie spotted the box in this picture on instagram. Haha.



Here are some tips: 


1. Don't use an old cleaning cloth - as much as you will want to use an old towel or washcloth, don't use one that has been used with any type of cleaning solution. I almost did this, but realized I didn't want to ruin my cake with yucky chemicals, natural or not. (I settled and used a cheap washcloth we bought for Ruby at mealtimes.) 

2. Soak the towel before use and then ring out - You can see where my towel got a little charred. I'm not sure if this would help, but I think I think it may be the safest bet instead of just quickly wetting the cloth. 

3. You can also use safety pins if your cloth isn't long enough, but I think tying the ends is the easiest option, so try to make your cloth long enough! 

4. You can use a square cloth for this! Just start cutting a strip off the end of the cloth, but before getting to the end, leave about an inch and start cutting at the opposite side to make a zig zag to make a continuous strip. Here's an image to help with that

5.  Because it helps the cake cook so evenly, it may cook a little faster. Luckily I checked the cake before the timer went off and took it out a few minutes early. So, just set the timer for 5 minutes less than the recipe calls for and begin checking to see if it's cooked all the way.

I will definitely be using this trick for now on. I am saving the cloth pieces I used, so it will even be easier the next time. 

Have you done this before? I encourage you to try it if you haven't! Also, my next goal is to make a taller cake. Has anyone added more layers? or used more smaller pans? I would love to hear your thoughts if so. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe