on turning 27

Monday, May 23, 2016

Last Monday was my birthday. I turned 27. It was a rainy, cold, Monday which was unlike any birthday I've had before. It's usually bright and sunny on the 16th of May.
I also woke up smelling like a campfire and in a tent. Jordan's birthday is the day after mine, on the 17th, so I decided it was a good idea to go camping for him. on my birthday.
So, it wasn't the best start, when I finally realized that it was my birthday. I had been pretty busy planning Ruby's party and Jordan's birthday, that I had totally forgotten about my birthday.
I tried to rally, we went hiking in the cold and rain, and it was fun. but, I just didn't fully recover, and Ruby was whiny after not seeing me (thanks grandma, for watching her!)
So, anyway, yesterday, Jordan got some friends to watch Ruby for a couple hours (thanks, friends!) so that he could take me out to properly celebrate my birthday.
 On the drive to St. Louis, sans Ruby, I was able to recount how terrible my birthday was, and he listened, and I got over it, got a drink and some mac and cheese, and some Jeni's ice cream. and now I am a happy girl. 
 There's half of my dear husband that loves me well, even though the level of love and touchy feely that I need is way more than the average human.
So, here are some of my thoughts on turning 27:

  1. I am finally feeling like an adult. Maybe it's having a one year old, or having to drink coffee every. single. morning. 
  2. Maybe this is the year I remember my age, maybe? Whenever people ask me how old I am, I look to Jordan. I can never remember. Maybe this one coincides with being an adult.
  3. Just kidding, I am still a child and always will be. I mean, look how happy I am with my ice cream. 
  4. My 27th year was one of the hardest/ best year of my life. 
  5. Some of my favorite things: Ruby. Hands down, watching Ruby grow and turn into this little person. 
  6. A little fact: I actually had Ruby when I was 25, I turned 26 four days later. 
  7. Another favorite: Finding an incredible community here in Illinois (which was also one of the hard things)
  8. And exploring our new home in St. Louis, finding new favorites, new adventures, and making a new home
  9. Some of the not so fun: Moving. No one can possibly like moving. Especially with a teeny tiny baby that's sucking away all of your energy.
  10. It was hard to navigate being a mama in a new home, with new people, and lots of new things, but I am thankful that we made it and are on the other end, of the trying, yet so beautiful, first year of life of a child. 
  11. And we've almost survived all of Jordan's intern year!! just a couple more (long) months! Intern year is the pits. 
I am so thankful for this past year, a lot of the challenges and suffering, like always, changed me and are continuing to make me more of who I am. 
I have never been one who lets my age define me, which is maybe why I never remember it. and also maybe why people still think I am in high school. But, I don't mind this little reminder of the years I've been on this beautiful Earth. Sometimes it's a little scary to think of who I once was, but I am so thankful that I grow and mature each year. Thank goodness. 

So, here's to year 28. May you be filled with a little more normalcy, maybe, dare-i-say, routine? and of course, as always, lots of adventures. To a summer with bike rides and a baby pool in the backyard. A five-year anniversary trip. And maybe the start of my own business (eeek!) and navigating toddlerhood, oh boy, we're not ready for you, toddlerhood. 
But, i'm ready for you, year 28. We're going to be gooooood friends.

Cheers!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe