Residency Life

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Happy Monday, dear friends. It's another happy Monday over here in the Ryan house. Yesterday, Jordan finished up his last day of his hardest rotation yet. And while today isn't technically a day off, (he's working tonight) we're calling it. We've been soaking it in all morning. Several times we've reminded ourselves that he's really done.
And now he has one more rotation left and he's done with his intern year. It doesn't feel quite true yet. This year has felt terribly long at times and yet so quick at the same time. I'm happy to say goodbye to his intern year, and now we should have a few more weekends this next year! all the praise hands!!!
I know I've given you little glimpses into our life and have vented to you often about how difficult Jordan's schedule can be, I included some links at the bottom of this post if you're interested in reading more about residency life. Today, I've decided to devote an entire post to this crazy world of ours with a resident in the family. This is for those who may be unfamiliar, or even those who understand and want to know that I'm going through it too. And for me to just share and catalog a little of this past year, in all it's forms.
he's a doctor? that must be nice (hah)
A lot of times I hesitate to tell people that Jordan is a doctor, rather I'll say he's in the Airforce (which is true - here's an old picture of him in his blues) or that he's a resident. People often have this glamorous picture of doctors, that they lead such a nice cushy life. And for residents this isn't true (well, maybe a little true, in terms of the rest of the world) and many residents don't make much money at all and have loads of debt (i've heard some with close to 300k in debt, yikes) hence, why JR joined the Airforce.
Sometimes when I want to buy something and Jordan starts his normal questions, "do you need -said item-?" I'll say, "but you're a doctor!" He doesn't appreciate it. So, I've stopped doing it, because it has lost it's funny.
And it's crazy to see people's reactions change when they hear Jordan is a doctor. There's a weird stigma about being a doctor, and I don't like it. Just know that most doctors are normal people, and they like ice cream just as much as the average person.

why is his schedule always changing?
Often times you will hear me talk about what rotation Jordan is on. His schedule is always changing, and the hours he works always fluctuating. The residents switch off working different rotations, they have a certain number of each that they need to do. This year was by far the hardest as he had many inpatient (working in the hospital) months. When he's working these rotations we just plan on not seeing him. Like this month, we go to see Jordan for maybe an hour or two in the evening, and his one day off was typically during the week and he had to work the weekends.
so, when will he be a doctor?
Another confusing thing for those who haven't watched Grey's Anatomy, is the timeline of events.
Undergrad > Medical school > Match Day (find out which residency they're going to >  Graduate Medical School > Now a Doctor > Residency > Fellowship (more education - optional) > freedom? (is there life after residency?)
i thought he had the day off?
Days off aren't always a guarantee for Jordan. I think it's been since his vacation in May that he's truly had a full day off. He has OB patients that seem to always go into labor on his day off. Or like this morning, he spend most of it charting some patients. It's very difficult when on his one day off, he has to do work. On top of all of the things that he has to catch up on at home. His work isn't something he can really just leave at the office, because he's dealing with lives. (this sounded dramatic, but I did just catch up on Grey's Anatomy)
 send cookies
There's really know way to put 80 hour work weeks nicely. It's hard. 
But, this is what we're doing. This is our life right now, so we find ways to make it work. Or we survive until a better month comes.
Some days are better that others, and there have been some really easy months. Though, the hard ones are really hard, especially this past month. There were many days where I didn't hear from him at all. Like, if he had time for a two minute conversation, it felt like a long time. And on top of his 14 hour day, he would come home, play with Ruby for thirty minutes to give me a break and then need to spend a couple hours writing up notes. And Jordan is the most efficient person I know, so I can't imagine those poor residents out their with poor organizational habits. 
So, here's the deal. remember to thank your doctors, especially those residents! They're working so ridiculously hard for you. I'll admit, there are some that are arrogant and a little much, but they're still working hard. If you need to, find the good ones, the majority are, like this man in these photos, he's the best one. It's not an easy road to become a doctor, so most of them are not doing it for themselves. Trust me, I've seen Jordan struggle with his decision in the hard months of med school and residency. He's not in it for himself.
And don't forget to send cookies to their families at home! (just kidding.... )
I shared the top photo on instagram a few days ago, and thought these photos went perfectly with this post. We stopped in to get Ruby's vaccinations and Jordan was working close by. One perk of having a family medicine doctor in the family!
I also wanted to clarify a couple things before I posted: I wrote this post this morning, which is why it says morning, but it's currently Monday evening. Also, this is following Jordan's hardest rotation this year and a series of tough months (he had most of his easier months at the beginning of the year) so, you got a lot of my raw emotions from these tougher months. but, we're super thankful that Jordan gets this opportunity. And it doesn't last forever, it will get easier, someday! 
Ruby realizing that she's getting her vaccinations :(

more (ruby's current favorite word)
Some more posts with glimpses into my life with a husband in residency: end of a tough month, family photos outside the hospital, what I text Jordan to keep things light, an argument, what weekends are like, being fully present

And I would love your thoughts, did you find this interesting or helpful? are any of you going through something similar? I'm thinking of doing a series of the sort, mainly on how to survive when your husband works crazy hours haha!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe