an honest review of honest

Monday, December 14, 2015


In lieu of The Honest Company's biggest sale I've seen all year (up to 40 percent off!) ending and getting our order in today (that we placed 4 days ago!), I thought I would share my favorite products (as well as some I didn't love) and how I saved and stocked up for diapers for the coming months.

Here's our top five favorites:






1. Diapers
We have only used Honest diapers for Ruby (except for some pampers that we were gifted) I feel good about using a product that is void of harsh chemicals, which we're careful to keep away from our daughter. I haven't felt any need to switch diapers. The fun patterns make me happy and we've had minimal blowouts.
We've been able to get these diapers for competitive prices and stocked up (which I will explain how below), but I still think their bundles aren't too bad when it comes to getting good quality and eco-friendly product.

|Ruby on my birthday at 4 days old wearing an Honest diaper|

2. Healing Balm
We use this for everything. Ruby had cradle cap once and I slathered this on her scalp and the next day it came right off and didn't come back again! We use it for dry spots, for scratches, diaper rash. Dr. Jordan even discovered it's awesomeness this week and started using it to help heal a cold sore. This is definitely a winner. We also really like the Honest diaper rash cream, but you could easily just use this.


3. Breathe Easy Rub
Jordan and I are both Vicks vapor rub people. We prefer the to use the Honest version for Ruby. The smell is so good. Ruby has had a cold for quite a while now, and I keep her chest, neck, and back covered in the stuff. I love the combination of eucalyptus, tea tree, and lavender.

4. Hand Sanitizer Spray
This stuff doesn't leave your hands dry and smells great. I keep one with me all times.

5. Soothing Bottom Wash
I'll admit this seems a little ridiculous and unnecessary. You definitely do not need this, but it will make your life a little easier. I used this a lot more when Ruby was a newborn. It was really helpful because we only did baths about once a week and this helped to keep her cleaner.


I picked items that really stand out among all of the The Honest Company products. We use and like other things, like their laundry detergent, formula, and dish soap, but would be just as happy with other natural brands. I didn't love their shampoo/body wash and lotion. Really, it's just the smell. Orange, really? I also didn't love their nipple balm when I was breastfeeding, although it was better than lanolin. I also tried their deodorant, because I know how bad normal deodorant with the aluminum is, but unfortunately it didn't really work for me.


How to Save:

The best way to save money at Honest is to use their bundles feature and add and save option. When you add a bundle to your cart you get 25 percent off three additional items. If you're having trouble they have great customer service and are always available to help (I had to use the chat feature, because using the add and save with diaper bundles was a little difficult).

-Keep in mind that bundles are a subscription service, so be sure to call and cancel after your first order comes  in, so that you don't continue to get charged-

With Honest's current promotion you can order multiple bundles. I was able to order 4 different bundles, 3 diapers bundles and an essentials bundle. I added on formula and other items like diaper cream and some salt scrub for me! When you add in the 40 percent off code (cozy40), you get quite the discount!

For an added savings, you can get 2.5 percent back from your purchase if you visit The Honest Co. site via ebates. Once you sign up for ebates, search for The Honest Company and click on their site from the ebates website and shop like normal.


Stocking up before baby comes:

I used this blog post to help stock up on diapers on sale when I was still pregnant with Ruby. We still are using the diapers that I purchased when I was pregnant with Ruby! We have enough to make it through the end of this month, so this sale lined up perfectly!

Before Ruby was born, we got:

two size 1 bundles
one size 2 bundle
one size 3 bundle

Each bundle had 6 packs of diapers and 4 packs of wipes and last us a little over a month and a half. We also got a couple packs of newborn diapers and were gifted a couple and had some from the hospital. I wouldn't recommend getting the newborn bundle unless your having twins, because they grow out of them so quickly.

We used size 1 diapers a little too long and could have switched a earlier, and ended up giving away some of our extras. We only used three size 2 diaper packs and I called Honest and they exchanged them for size 3 with no problems. These diapers have lasted us 7 months so far! and we still have 3 packs left! Since the bundles come with wipes, we've had plenty and extra still.

We also loved having the next size for Ruby, because we would use them for bedtime to help last through the night!


Stocking up now:

Now that our stockpile is running a little low, and because of this sale we've decided to stock up yet again. We ordered three size 3 bundles and are hoping that will last us until Ruby turns one. I'm planning on placing another order today to stock up on size four diapers. I like having a stockpile and not having to worry about finding a good deal, or having to pay full price for diapers.

Since we transitioned to giving Ruby formula, we are also stocking up on enough tins to get her to a year old too. Formula is not cheap, so we were very happy to get it under 15 dollars!! We used the add and save option to save 25 percent and also saved 40 percent off of that!

We also are stocking up on healing balm, diaper cream, laundry detergent, and other household items. I even got a wipes dispenser for really cheap that you can see in a photo above.

Don't worry if you are reading this late, sign up using this link to get a discount now and register to get their email. If you don't need the items right away you can get up to a 50 percent discount code (typically only on one bundle, but my mom got a 50 percent off an entire purchase and helped me stock up in the beginning).


I don't get anything for this review, but if you do decide to check out The Honest Co., please use this link! if you decide to purchase something, we get a small credit. And anything helps! Thank you :)



Feel free to comment with your questions, or if you need help with saving money at honest. Or if you have and favorites or tips you would like to share. :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

ten dollars for you!

Sign up for Ebates with this link and get 10 dollars! It's one of my favorite ways to save money while shopping online and it's so easy! I've already made over 250 dollars! send me an email if you have any questions!! :)
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Subscribe